When it comes to theft crimes in Nebraska, the legal landscape can be complex and intimidating. If you face theft-related charges, you need the support and expertise of a skilled Gering theft crimes lawyer who understands the intricacies of the law and can protect your rights. At Island Law Office, we have a proven track record of defending individuals against theft crime charges in Gering and the surrounding areas.
Call Island Law Office today at (308) 633-4040 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our theft crimes attorney in Gering!
Common Types of Theft Crimes
Theft crimes encompass a wide range of offenses, all of which involve taking someone else's property without their permission and with the intent to deprive them of it. As experienced Gering theft crimes lawyers, we are well-versed in handling various types of theft charges, including:
- Shoplifting: Shoplifting is a common theft offense that involves taking merchandise from a retail establishment without paying for it or without the store owner's consent.
- Burglary: Burglary is the unlawful entering of a building or property intending to commit theft, assault, or another crime.
- Robbery: Robbery involves using force, intimidation, or the threat of violence to take property or money from another person.
- Embezzlement: Embezzlement involves the misappropriation of funds or property entrusted to an individual, often an employee, who then uses it for personal gain.
- Auto Theft: Stealing a motor vehicle, commonly known as car theft, is another theft crime that carries significant penalties.
What are the Penalties for Theft Crimes in Nebraska?
The penalties for theft crimes in Nebraska vary depending on several factors, including the type of theft and the value of the property involved. In general, theft offenses can result in criminal and civil consequences, such as:
- Criminal Penalties: Theft crimes can lead to criminal charges, which may result in fines, probation, restitution to the victim, and imprisonment. The severity of the penalties will depend on the theft offense and its circumstances.
- Civil Liability: In addition to criminal penalties, individuals convicted of theft crimes may also face civil liability. This means they could be ordered to compensate the victim for any losses from the theft.
- Criminal Record: A theft conviction can have long-lasting consequences, as it will appear on your criminal record, potentially affecting your employment opportunities, housing options, and more.
Defenses Against Theft Crime Charges
Defending against theft crime charges in Gering requires a strategic and knowledgeable approach. Our Gering theft crimes lawyers have the experience and expertise to employ various defense strategies tailored to your case. Some common defenses include:
- Lack of Intent: The prosecution must prove you intended to steal. If we demonstrate that you had no such intent, the charges may be reduced or dismissed.
- Mistaken Identity: It's not uncommon for witnesses or security footage to lead to mistaken identity. We can investigate the evidence against you and challenge any inaccuracies.
- Consent: If you had the owner's consent to take the property or if there was a misunderstanding, we can use this as a defense.
- Insufficient Evidence: If the prosecution's evidence is weak or lacks credibility, we can argue that there is insufficient proof to support a conviction.
Contact Our Gering Theft Crimes Attorney Today
Facing theft crime charges can be overwhelming, but you don't have to navigate the legal process alone. The Island Law Office is here to provide you with the guidance, support, and legal representation you need when confronting theft-related accusations in Gering, Nebraska.
Our Gering theft crimes lawyers have a deep understanding of the law, extensive experience defending clients, and a track record of successful outcomes. We are dedicated to protecting your rights, building strong defense strategies, and working tirelessly to achieve the best possible results for your case.
Contact Island Law Office today to schedule a consultation with our theft crimes lawyer in Gering!